Thursday, April 5, 2012

Reviewing Spiritual Makeover as I am Booking Through Thursday



Welcome to my Book Review and Booking Through Thursday Post, this week question: If someone asked you for a book recommendation, what is the FIRST book you’d think to recommend (without extra thought)?

The answer is: 

At first, I thought this is so easy I would hands down recommend a person take the time to read the Bible

But I would not recommend anything without extra thought and as much as I love the Bible and think everyone should read it, I simply love books and people. It would be hard to recommend a book without extra thought. 


  • Whom am I recommending the book to? 
  • How old are they? 
  • What is their need or simply what would benefit them at this season in their lives. 


Recommending anything take forethought and knowledge because I am saying, 
"I know this book will benefit you." 
I have five books that I read yearly because they add value to different areas of my life and maybe one of the five might benefit someone. 
My Personal Top 7
I am keeping a Pinterest board of books I am reading this year along with links to my reviews so visitors can decide which book might benefit them. Reserving the right of Intentionally Choosing.
Source: amazon.com via Eileen on Pinterest



My Book Review this weekSpiritual Makeover: Ten Practices for Falling in Love with Your Life by Sirah Vettese Ph.D.

It is funny how God works things out. Before I read Spiritual Makeover: Ten Practices for Falling in Love with Your Life, I was convinced that I would not gain anything from it. I was thinking of how I would phrase my bad review and how short it would be. 

Surprise, Surprise, 

Spiritual Makeover is not my cup of tea or maybe it was just the title. The book reminded me of the saying 
"Cannot judge a book by its cover or title for that matter." 
I really wished she had named it something else. 

Sirah Vettese is a life coach who seeks to help people let go of all the hurt, regrets, disappointments, and illusions that prevent them from succeeding in life.
By embracing The Ten Practices:

  • Taking the time to stop look listen and feel
  • Uncovering the Authentic self
  • Expanding your view
  • Attuning to your thought adjuster
  • Navigating distractions
  • Making Love Divine
  • Dusting off your Passions
  • Energizing a Positive Cycle
  • Constructing your life contract
  • Living your Sacred Destiny


Spiritual Makeover is your typical self-help book. Every one of the ten Practices comes complete with Journaling exercises and lots of thought provoking questions. 
We are a society that practices avoidance. We bury unhappy feeling with drugs, alcohol and extremely busy schedules, that do not allow us the time to practice self-awareness. Sirah encourages the reader to dig into our painful experiences and evaluate them through our journaling.

The Spiritual Makeover she discusses it one of begins true to self by evaluating our responses to the events and people in our lives.

Sirah asks her readers to define how they are feeling emotionally, seek out their own spiritual beliefs, and invest deeply in their relationships. She explains how to meditate so you can take the time to process all that you feel and believe.

She also explains the process of creating a dream board for the five key areas of your life:
1. You
2. Relationship
3. Psycho spiritual
4. Professional
5. Financial

Behind all the questions and advise Sirah tells her story, which is what honestly drew me into the book. Her life story and perspective on forgiveness is an amazing one. Going from a place of feeling rejected and left to deal with what must have been a scary ordeal to incredible forgiveness.

I was drawn into this book by her story of triumph and the lesson that she learned. I was going to summarize her story here but incase you want to read the book I shall not ruin it for you.

The book does contain great questions everyone should stop and take time to answer. I honestly had a love hate relationship with this book. If you do take the time to read this book please email me your thoughts at Edwardsgranddaughter@Gmail.com and you can check out my five boards on Pinterest. 
Sirah has a website at http://sirahvettese.com

Choosing to share my love of books. What are you choosing today? Please leave me a comment as I am committing to responding on my blog and I would love to chat on Facebook.

If you enjoyed this post, please stay awhile and read and choose to share Edwards Granddaughter with a friend. You can also subscribe by email and like us on Facebook, join us on Pinterest and Twitter. You can also email me @ Edwardsgranddaughter.gmail.com.