Friday, July 29, 2011

Living the Word

Completing the The Bible in 90 days does have it challenges. I have now finished Judges. I have noticed that they are many times when a leader strong in the Lord dies, that the Israelites are said to have turned away from God and his commands.

I wondered why? Was there no one to teach them about God and following his command. No one to lead them in the way everlasting. Why were these people forgetting to teach their children to love the Lord?  They were content. When we are content, we forget.

In Judges 6 we read about Gideon, who tested God saying
36 “If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised— 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said.”38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water.
39 Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece, but this time make the fleece dry and let the ground be covered with dew.” 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.

Was this not the same God who brought them out of Egypt. Who lead them by his very presence through the desert. They once again had been influence by the world around them. We are told in

Judges 8:28 Thus Midian was subdued before the Israelites and did not raise its head again. During Gideon’s lifetime, the land had peace forty years.

Forty years is a short time. As, we read the periods of peace and contentment gets shorter. The influences of what we see, and hear each day are what occupy our minds.

Judges 8: 33 No sooner had Gideon died than the Israelites again prostituted themselves to the Baals. They set up Baal-Berith as their god 34and did not remember the LORD their God, who had rescued them from the hands of all their enemies on every side. 35 They also failed to show any loyalty to the family of Jerub-Baal (that is, Gideon) in spite of all the good things he had done for them.

That passage seems so sad and yet so real. How often do we desert those who have done good things for us. The people who are there when we need help are often forgotten when the crisis is over.

How do we protect our children and grandchildren from this fate. How do we protect them from the influences of the world we are surrounded by to the second, third, fourth or even the tenth generation?

My answer is found in Samuel 3:21 “there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.” We need to be in the Word, always.
How do I teach my children to be in the Word always?
1. We do daily devotions separately with each child.

2. Now that they are older we are reading through the bible using a year plan.
3. On Sunday, we have our family devotional at the breakfast table.
4. When they are not obeying, we go first to the Bible. What does God say?
5. When they have a problem we look for the spiritual way to think it through. I use to tell them that if they could find it in the Bible I would do it. When bringing an argument to mummy it is better to be equipped with the Word.
6. Show them how the bible applies to your life and works in theirs. How are you living the word for them?
7. Point out the blessing and miracles of God no matter how small.
8. Be an example not of perfection, but of Godly grace in your personal walk with the Lord. My Boys know I pray things through and wait for God’s guidance. Be humble, we are not perfect.
9. Talk to them about God. God creates these opportunities we just have to use them.
10. Teach them the process of questioning and learning from the Bible. Teach the system that you use, but leave room for them to find their own system.
11. The Word should be on your lips when you speak to them. I quote the scriptures to my children daily.
This is one of my Favs with teens
12. This is one of the biggest things my heart believes parents need to do. Pray and commit your children to the Lord, as Samuel’s mother did. She did not hand her son over to perfect people when she left him at the temple. The Bible clearly tells us in

1 Samuel 3:13 For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed God,[u] and he failed to restrain them.14 Therefore I swore to the house of Eli, ‘The guilt of Eli’s house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.’”

Eli son’s were not good examples to Samuel as he was growing up. Yet he grew to love the Lord. Hannah was still praying for her son.

I know they are many ways to use the Bible to train our children in the way they should go. These are a few of the important guidelines we use to train our Boys.

As always leave a comment telling me how you are training your children in the Word.

Thanks for reading @