Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Give Me Widsom


As I was reading my Bible this morning, I realized that I am very thankful for the book of Proverbs. I have always loved reading Proverbs and find comfort in its words.

As a child whenever I got scared or worried I would read Proverbs. I spent many nights after a nightmare reading Proverbs 3.  I realize that it is probably strange for a child to turn to Proverb 3 instead of Psalm 23. But, I found comfort in Proverbs 3.  
My Mac background
 21 My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; 
22 they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. 
23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. 
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.25 Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, 
26 for the LORD will be at your side and will keep your foot from being snared.

The comfort I got from knowing that someone was guiding my life and taking care of me was phenomenal. I was confident in me, because God was with me taking care of me. Proverbs spoke to my heart in a deep and abiding way during my childhood.

Now that I am raising My Boys, Proverbs continues to speak to me. I love the wisdom and logic that flows throughout Proverbs. It is filled with very real, practical advise that anyone can use. 

When The Boys are having trouble sleeping we turn to and read Proverbs 3. I tell them about my childhood and how much that book meant to me. How much a comfort to be able to turn to God through those verses.

There are many pearls in Proverbs. Every verse is helpful and useful. After reading through Proverbs with my boys, I decided that I would memorize the Book of Proverbs. I want every word etched into my heart. Beginning in 2012 I will learn the Book of Proverbs.

I am thankful for this book of the Bible and the way that it continues to bless my life. 
A Special Thanks to all who have been reading and leaving comments. Linking up with Word-Filled Wednesdays and Thankful Thursdays