Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sentiment


I have had an interesting three weeks. They have been very busy, as I have put my life on hold, while trying to decide our next move. Since I am temporality staying with my mother, I have been working to help her organize and de-clutter her home. I.E. making myself at home.

Moms always have good reasons for the things they keep. Who made it when. Who gave it to her? I unfortunately did not inherit the sentimental gene.
One of our big issues over the years has been my wedding dress. I was married seventeen years ago. I have been trying to ditch the dress ever since.

First it was just bad luck, and then one of my children may want the honor of wearing my dress. Truth be know, I am never getting married again and the though of someone else wearing my dress just does not sit well with me. It may sound and be a little selfish but I just do not like the idea of someone else wearing MY DRESS.

After I assured her that the dress was ruined by the dry cleaners, she wanted proof. The dry cleaners had done me the honor of steam cleaning the roses right off the silk. MY DRESS has been in my mother’s possession for the last six years, did she not just want to see it.

I am thankful that the things of this world do not bind me. I get it. Matthew 6:

19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
    20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
    21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I am thankful that my treasures are my husband, my children, my extended family and my friends. These people I will meet again in heaven.

The wedding dress that I wore only one and will never wear again will finally become trash. Making me very thankful that I can let go of the material for the eternal.