Saturday, July 30, 2011

Apple Camp Week 8

We just finished a three-day Apple camp for The Boys. They learned how to use the Ipad to make a movie. Can any one say marketing?

Apple Camp is a free three-day program at the Apple store for children ages 8 thru 12.  The children got lessons on making music in garage band; filming video with an ipad; putting it all together in imovie.


This was our first year participating in the camp. The Boys each received an Apple Camp T-shirt, some buttons, a lovely certificate, and a copy of their final project.

I was required to stay in the store while the boys were participating in the class. As a result, I received some valuable face time with the Apple associates. I would never schedule time in my day to visit the store to learn about my MacBook Pro. I have had the Pro for over two years never once have I considered visiting the store for lessons.

I was amazed at how much I learned. I learned a lot about the parental controls, and what I could use them for. Nothing takes the place of talking too and being involved with your children, but Knowledge is power. I like having knowledge especially since no one can be in two places at once.

My Boys also had a great lesson in advertising.  We had lots of conversations about how they provided Apple with lots of free advertising just by wearing the T-shirts. Also, they talked a lot about how much you could do with the Ipad and the fun they had. Again advertising for Apple, let the brain washing begin. I guess the 8 to 12 age range is when children are getting their own personal Ipad or MacBook.
It was also a nice way to point out that free is never really free. Apple not only advertized through my boys this week but when ever they wear those T-shirt. Even when something is free, reading the fine print is also important before we put our stamp of approval on it.

I like Apple and it is an American brand that I am confident in recommending. Like Ford, they have a quality product and great customer service. All things I look for morally before I buy a product. 

All the years of talking to my children about thinking through their purchases paid off this week. The Ipad was not something they were unwilling to leave in the store. And time will tell if this experience encourages them to be more creative in their movie making.  
Comments welcomed: