Friday, July 22, 2011

God Sent Friends


It is challenging saying goodbye to your friends every few years. Going to a new place can be stressful. You are not sure what the environment or people will be like.  

Friendships are important, Ecclesiastes 4: says
9 Two are better than one, 

because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down, 

one can help the other up. 

But pity anyone who falls 

and has no one to help them up. 

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. 

But how can one keep warm alone? 

12 Though one may be overpowered, 

two can defend themselves. 

A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
When we moved to California I was very far from home. I was also a new mother and pregnant with my second child. On arriving, I learned that my husband would be deploying in a month. I remember thinking had I known that, I would have stayed in New York with my mother. Too late now!

I really needed my mum. Everything was new and different. I had many doubts about parenting. I was convinced that I had no clue. My mother would call to see how I was going and get a response of “He is still alive”. He made it through another day in my care. I lacked the confidence in my ability to be a mum. 

I signed up for a free visiting nurse service for first time mothers. Through this program I not only gained my confidence back, but a great friend. God had placed Mary in my life so we could a great friendship.

We bonded the day we met. She was the grandmother I never had. Mary was full of great childcare and godly wisdom. After once a week visits for a month, she informed that I did not need her services, but she would still come out and visit. She felt it also. We were becoming life long friends.
My next major move to was to New Delhi, India.  I was a lot more self-assured by them. Having lived overseas before, I did not struggle from the culture shock. I found being there relaxing.

In the process of settling in, my husband asked me to visit a friend of his wife. She was having a hard time adjusting and did not have any children.  They had arrived in India, around the same time we did.

I started visiting with Faith every day in an effort to encourage her. We became fast friends on a new adventure together. We explored India together, and talked about what we were learning in the Lord. She was a grandmother to my boys who were so far away from their own grandmother.

Nothing is more frightening than having your child injured in a foreign country. When my oldest needed emergency dental surgery. I was alone and unsure of the outcome. Faith was there. She went with me to the dentist and literally held my hand.

One night my three year old was running in our home, when he hit his head. The blood just started flowing, once again Faith was there. Twenty stitches later, her reassurance was still there.

With a name like Faith, how could she not have been God sent? God used my desire to serve other to give me what I need.

We all need people to walk along side us through life. These are just two instances where God provide me with a strong mature friend. I am amazed that God has always provided me with equally amazing friends. People who were not only willing to come along side me, but also to give me their hearts.

Three years has come and gone in a blink. Many great friendships have been made. God has once again provided me with great friends. And I am cherishing the days till we say: 

Feeling the call to share me at  Brag on God Friday's and link up. As always please let me know what you think in the comments.