Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Top Ten Favorite Children’s books

My Boys are growing up. The baby is eight year old. Gone are the days mummy’s favorite books. They are recommend books for me to read. As, we were deciding what books to part with, my oldest asked why am I keeping these.
1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, jr., and John Archambault
A great way to introduce the alphabet. This book has great poetic rhythm and  beautifully complimenting pictures. It makes a fun, easy, memorable read.
2. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Sitting next to the bed, the last book would be Goodnight Moon. The concept is simple we say goodnight to everything before going to sleep. The book teaches the names of items in the home. Another beautifully illustrated picture book.
3. Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
I honestly love everything McCloskey. We own many of his books. My favorite from his collection is Make Way for Ducklings. It is a wonderful story of a family. The way father and mother duck take care to protect their nest. The journey of taking the ducklings from the safely of the nest to the lake. It is a hard warming and priceless story.
4. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
In this world where everything is replaceable, and there is something new each day, this story packs a punch. I think it is the first recycling program. As I try to save my wonderfully illustrated picture books from the Kindle, Mike tries to save his steam shovel from the junk yard. I will not spoil the ending for you but it is well worth reading with the little ones.
5. Bedtime for Frances by Russel Hoban
I loved books that would remind The Boys of their need to stay in bed. This is a very sweet book that reminds parents of how children wiggle out of bed. It also reminds children of the rules and what happens when they get out of bed. There is some keen insight into what they can do to help themselves stay in bed. If you have bedtime woos, this is well worth reading.
6. Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
My Wild Child loved this book and I grew to love it also. It does have great illustrations and a beautiful story. When we began with Stellaluna, it was our longest book. After a long day, I was not excited to read a novel to my son, it is really not that long. Stellaluna is the good Samaritan mixed with begin different is cool. It is a great adoption story.
7. Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
Amelia Bedelia teaches us the power of our words. Words have meaning for Amelia, so you have to choose when carefully. Her employers learn very quickly that they have to watch what they say or things will go astray. I really enjoyed the message of this book.
8. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
The classic bull in a china store story. I used this book to teach The Boys that our behavior effects the outcome of our lives. Ferdinand get mad once and has some surprising results.
9. “The Sneetches” from The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
At some point, we owned every book from the Dr. Suess collection. The boys learned to read using these books. The teach phonics and rhyme very well. I highly recommend them if your children are at this stage. We have given many of them away now, keeping only my favorites.

I like “The Sneetches” because it teaches a great lesson about trying to keep up with the Jones. It clearly shows what happens when we want what someone else has. The story ends with some heart felt words:
“I’m quite happy to say
That the Sneetches got really quite smart on that day,
The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches
And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches.
That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars
And whether they had one, or not, upon thars.”
10. My Bunny by James Young
This scholastic paperback I am sad to say is no longer in print. You could probably find a used copy or try the library. This is a heart warming story about a father, his daughter, and her bunny and the love that is shared. You can literally feel the love from this book. At least, I felt the love. I still do.

These books hold a special place in my heart. Great memories reading them again and again with The Boys. My response to my son was I will read these books to my grandchildren and my great grandchildren. He does not see the beauty yet, but he will.
What books are you treasuring for the next generation....

Hop on over to Oh Amanda for her Top Ten Tuesday blog hop and make your own Top Ten.