Friday, August 19, 2011

Learning From Job


Sitting in the emergency room I find myself thinking about Job. I read the book of Job this week and I now find my self-wondering what was the point of it all. What was God trying to teach me by including Job in the Bible?

What can I learn from Job?
1.    Job praised God in spite of his troubles. Job 1:20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:
   “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.”
 22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.
2.   Job’s heart was that of accepting what comes from God. 
2:10 He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?
  In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

It is hard to not be saddened when we are not feeling well or things are not going our way. It can make us grouch and negative. I have been trying to solve a health problem for Wild Child for the past few years. I felt that by fixing his health I could get him to be more positive. But the truth is, although he is a child, he still needs to be taught to make better choices even when not feeling well.

3.   Job was sad and dismayed. He had lost everything of any value but his health. I know many of us would trade our good health for the health of our children. He mourned and was sad. I think the important thing here is Job did not let this define him.

4.   God uses situations in our life to teach us about him. God was running the show. He had a plan and purpose for what was happening with Job.
Job 42:1 Then Job replied to the LORD:
 2 “I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 
3 You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.

5.   Job1:1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. Job was blameless and upright, he feared God but there was a lesson here for him. No matter where we are in life journey they are still some things we can learn.
 God is testing me and helping me to grow closer to Him by the trials He places in my lives. I am grateful for the events that have brought me to my knees before the Lord. Now, that I am in the Age of Opportunity with My Boys. I want to use the Bible to seize the opportunities that God provides to help them grow closer to him. 


Linking up with Brag on God Friday and Spiritual Sundays