Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lesson one


This week the impact of not having our own space, as a family, really hit. Transitions are hard but this one seems epic.

The thing I am most grateful for is my children’s hearts.

Colossians 3:13Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

We all know how boys can be. He hit me first. He was being mean to me. They seem to wrestle and hit for the littlest of offences.

Yet, once the dust settles, they dust off and all is forgiven. How did my children shock me with their ability to forgive and move on?

Our current living situation has allowed me to see my boys through different lens. God created a situation that showed me the blessing of teaching forgiveness. When we are in the thick of training our children, we must never become so focus on what they are doing wrong that we neglect to see and compliment what they are doing right.

I always had the conviction and called the boys to obey: Matthew 5
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

As a family we are called to turned the other cheek, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do,”{Luke 23:34} we do not repay evil with evil.

I choose to write this post to remind us that in our struggle to raise strong men and women of God. We are not to let the day-to-day events prevent us from seeing what God is doing with our children.

I am thankful that God has giving my boys such forgiving hearts and allowed me to see them.