Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Uncle Joe



It has been an interesting year for me. I have had a lot of struggles of different degrees. My uncle Joseph Nathanael Jordon was a wonder, God fearing man. He left this world at the age of 95 and I know he heard well done good and faith servant. 
From as early as I could remember he taught me the bible. It did not matter what religion you were or what you believe if you met him the conversation was about God and the bible. 

Four years ago I took the boys to meet him and the first thing he did was ask them if I was teaching them the Bible and then he proceed to tell them a Bible story. He was truly a remarkable man when it came to the word of the Lord. 

At the beginning of 2011 I had started reading through the entire Bible in a year with My Boys. I know my faith had benefited greatly from the many years of Bible reading with him and wanted to gift that to my boys. Admittedly we are a little behind but I am committed to finishing in 2012. I think it is important to read through the entire Bible on a regular basis, so once we are settled I will take up the Challenge of reading it again in ninety days. The Word says:
2 Timothy 3:
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Uncle Joe saying good bye to my Grandfather 13 years ago
To live out this scripture we must not only know the word but also know how to apply it to our lives. Our quite times help us apply it to our lives but reading through the Bible in a year adds to our knowledge of the word. 

After he left to be with God
I always admired my Uncle Joe; I though he was the best uncle a girl could have. I wish my boys would have known him like I did. I know that by choosing to live out 2 Timothy 3:16-17 in our lives that they will meet him again in heaven and get to know him there. What a great comfort that is!