Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bible-ing Through Thursday With Review

Welcome to my Book Review and Booking Through Thursday Post, this week question:


Have you ever used a book to instruct someone of something or is there anyone for whom you would like to do that? (I don’t mean a text book for a class, but a work of fiction or non-fiction that would get a certain message across either through plot or character). What is the book and what do you wish to impart?


I read this morning's question and immediately my brain started thinking about all the books that I have recommended. My mind eventually came to rest with my boys. All the stories we have read intending for them to learn a lesson. Then I realized the real answer to this question, the one that should have been first. The most important book of all is the book we read everyday, the book we talk about daily, and the book that imparts the greatest message of all.

The most important book is:
The Bible is an instruction manual for life. It teaches morals, character and ethics. I try everyday through Edwards Granddaughter to impart the lessons of life I learn from the Bible to my readers in the hopes that I can encourage them to see the Bible as a book of choices. God wants us to choose to follow him and the Bible is his guide for how to follow. The theme, we all have choices and each choice has the potential to lead us to happiness or eternal sadness.


2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable
for teaching,
for reproof,
for correction,
for training in righteousness;


When we read about the characters in the Bible we see what happens to them because of their choices. Cain when he asks "Am I my brother's keeper?" He choose to kill his brother and we reference him quite a bit with three boys to help them see that it is a blessing from God to have brothers and He expects us to take care of them. It is a choice to take care of my brother and they are consequences either way.

Many fiction and non-fiction books have their foundation from the Bible.  Books like The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan and The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and a new favorite of mine Pursuit of Proverbs 31 Woman by Amy Bayliss.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit,
of both joints and marrow,
and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.



My Book Review this weekHow to Declutter Your Home and Your Life by Martha Sinclair



Martha help you determine why you are keeping things and tells you how to decide what to get rid of. She discusses  minimalism defined as choosing to prioritize the necessary things over the unnecessary, but the over all tone of the book seemed more focus on utilizing better storage.
 
There was a time when people bought less because less was available. Children had work clothes, school clothes and Sunday best. Mother had one good dress and one set of good china. In 2012 we have things that are handed down through families, we have multiple Sunday bests if we store all that stuff we have wasted rescoures and clutter. For me clutter means keeping things that I no longer use or have not used for a long time.
 
The core of minimalism is having your home reflect what you are passionate about along with what you need. You cannot possible be passionate about storage. Time spent sorting and storing unused items is time wasted. 

If you need help getting to the bottom of your clutter issues or figuring out what clutter is this is the book for you. A great beginner book on decluttering your home. 
  

Choosing to share my love of books. What are you choosing today?