Monday, March 12, 2012

The Last 10 Days


The last 10 days of 30 days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues


Taming Your Tongue was an educational read that really allowed me to examine my words on a more concrete level. It was helpful to read a book that explains 30 different tongues that take us off the narrow path. Here are the last 10 tongues.


21: The Self-Absorbed Tongue
Do you find your self only talking about you? We are to look to the interest of others and not just talk about our needs, wants and desires. How are we going to be able to help our children, our husbands, and our friends if we are so busy talking about ourselves that we cannot hear their needs? Philippians 2:4


22: The Cursing Tongue
A Self-explanatory one refers to using profane, obscene or vulgar language.  James 3:10


23: The Complaining Tongue
When tempted to complain we should instead be proactive and take our case to one who can help us. Many times I will listen to my boys discussing an issue that neither one of them have the power to change. They argue and disagree but ultimately mom and dad are the only voice. I am trying to teach them that those discussions are futile. Instead of having those conversations that lead to discord, come and discuss the issue with mom and dad. The peanut gallery never accomplishes anything but idle ungodly talk. Psalm 142:1-2


24: The Retaliating Tongue
You are hurt by what was said and your response is to insure you words cut them even deeper. God is not glorified by this behavior. In Romans 12:17 we are commanded to not repay evil with evil but to live in peace with everyone. Lets choose instead to repay an insult with a blessing. 1 Peter 3:9


25: The Accusing Tongue
This has been a tricky one for me with the Boys as they have gotten older. How do I as a mother discipline them without accusing them all day long? I try to model my discipline along the guidelines of Genesis 3:9-11 where God does not accuse Adam but instead asks questions to get the information from Adam. The truth never comes out when people feel accused; we need to ask questions in order to reach the truth. Revelation 12:10


26: The Discouraging Tongue
I strive very hard to encourage others; I get the analogy of the glass being full. The thing that is interesting about discouragement is that we all get discouraged. We think I cannot do it. I am not good enough. This is why encouragement is so important. We need other cheering for us so that we can overcome Satan’s negative thoughts and climb any mountain. Job 29:24


27: The Doubting Tongue
1 Corinthians 13:7 says that love believes all things. Do you believe all things or are you struggling with doubt.  Open your bible study out the area in which you have doubt and memorize some verses that will help you to nail that doubt.


What are some things you find yourself speaking about in a doubtful way? Start conquering your doubts today and believe the best. Mark 11:23


28: The Loquacious Tongue
This is a verse I know well and use often and so it is also a place where I know that God has called me higher. When placed with Matthew 12:36 -- But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. I am convicted of my need to shut up and count the cost of my words. Proverbs 10:19


29: The Indiscreet Tongue
When I think about the indiscreet tongue I think back to my childhood I felt very justified to say something as long as it was true. These days I laugh as I am having the same issue with one of my boys. He says things, and yes they are true, but I find myself asking him if they are necessary. He is fond of reminding me that they are true. I out grew this malady when I applied Ephesians 4:29 to my speech. 
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." 
Being truthful is good but not at the expense of others. Proverbs 2:11


30: The Silent Tongue
Speech is sliver, Silence is golden
By now the conclusion would be I should never talk but I caution you that silence can also be interrupted as consent. My Boys do this quite often, they will ask me a question and when I do not answer they are happy to infer a yes.  The path that we walk with our words is a narrow one; we must create a habit of choosing that we say. Ecclesiastes 3:1,7


These are the last ten of the 30 tongues. Let us all choose to weigh our words. 
What are you choosing to say today.

Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings