Monday, March 5, 2012

Ten Places We Are Called to Remember



Beginning a week of remembrance with 10 places God calls us to remember.  

I felt God’s pull this week to remember. I read Psalm 77 from the Run to Him study and heard the call.

REMEMBER

Why is there a call to remember?

Remembering helps us to see where we have been and all that God has done for us on the journey. Join me on my journey each day this week to remember. On Thursday I will share the events that God called me to remember, and the blessing in my journey. On Friday I will share what else about remembering I learned from this week’s study. And somewhere in all this remembering I will complete Project Simplify and share from my Proverbs 31 journey.

10 Scripture Calls To Remember:

1. Genesis 9:16
Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds,
I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant 
between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

Genesis 9:16 is not a call to remember but I included it here because for me it is the first instance where a memory is created. Whenever I see a rainbow I remember the flood.

2. Exodus 20:8
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 


Somewhere along our journey I realized that I had been keeping the Sabbath holy. It was not intentional but in my heart I was keeping the Sabbath holy, my day of rest. Now I only realized this because on a particular Saturday we had made plans and my children could not be moved. They proceeded to inform me that Saturday had always been their day to rest and as our Sunday’s were so long it was really their only day. I gave it a lot of thought and they were right, we had always just hang around the house on Saturday. And we have continued to remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. 

Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, 
when the LORD said to me, ‘Assemble the people to Me, 
that I may let them hear My words so they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, 
and that they may teach their children.’ 


We are commanded to remember so we may teach our children. If we do not remember the Bible and have it on our hearts we miss many opportunities to teach our children the life applications of the Bible so that they too can remember.

Remember what the LORD your God did to Miriam on the way as you came out of Egypt. 


When I was a child I was very skilled at learning from the mistakes of others. Begin blessed with an older sister, I could watch her and know how best to deal with my parents. I could remember what she did and the reactions of my parents to avoid those same pitfalls. Remember helps us learn from others. Here the Israelites are called to remember God’s punishment of Miriam, to prevent repeating the same sin.  

5. Joshua 1:13
“
Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you,
Saying,
‘ The LORD your God gives you rest and will give you this land.’

Remember His wonderful deeds
which He has done,
His marvels and the judgments from His mouth,
When trouble befalls us our natural response it to panic and in our panic we forget.   After being brought out of Egypt, the Israelites wanted to return when faced with the Red Sea. They had already forgotten that God had rescued them.  We need to remember so when the storms of life come we can remember those incidents when god rescued us and turn from Panic and back to God.

7. Isaiah 46:9
Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,


How often do we forget how big our God is? There is nothing that is outside the realm of his control.

8. Acts 20:35
In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak
and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 
‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”


We are commanded to remember Jesus so that we may follow him. We remember the things he did and said so that we may take up our cross daily deny ourselves and follow him. We can do what he did because we remember.

Remember Jesus Christ,
risen from the dead,
descendant of David,
according to my gospel,

Remember that Jesus rose from the dead as was promised. Remembering this spurs us on to love and good deeds because we know that he have eternal life.

So remember what you have received and heard;
and keep it, and repent.
Therefore if you do not wake up,
I will come like a thief,
and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.


We are commanded to remember so that we may be prepared.

Do you remember what God has done?

Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings