Friday, August 5, 2011

Surrendered What!

Tonight my son came home from bible study and I asked “What did you learn?” To which he replied, “I learned, I need to surrender to God, I like to control things, not like you. You are really surrendered to God.” What me surrendered? I was more than a little surprised.

I have certainly studied a lot about surrender, I even read a book called The Victory of Surrender by Gordon Ferguson. Still, I do not see myself as surrendered. Am I faking it, till I make it? If I act surrendered, do I become surrendered?

Reading through my bible this week, I am studying David. He is referred to as a man after God’s own heart. David was surrendered to God.  

2 Samuel 12: 15 After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackcloth on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them.

David appealed to God to save his son, but in the end

2 Samuel 12:19 David noticed that his attendants were whispering among themselves, and he realized the child was dead. “Is the child dead?” he asked.
  “Yes,” they replied, “he is dead.”
20 Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate.
21 His attendants asked him, “Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!”
22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

David was surrendered, he knew what was within his control. He knew what he could change and what he just had to accept. While the child was ill, he could pray and make his request to God. Once the child was dead there was nothing more to do, but accept God’s will.

I am still working on surrendering. 

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

As we prepare to move, my heart struggles with surrendering to the unknown. My prays are for my surrender to what God has planned, the blessing of our new home. I pray for the new friendship we will make and for a smooth transition. A quick adjustment and a limited break from school.

We have made for formal or extensive plans. We shall as usual travel by faith. The hope that God has gone again of us and prepared a place. So where ever this journey takes me, I will find surrender there.
Comment, advise, all are welcomed.
Linking up with Brag on God Friday, Spiritual Sundays, and Word-filled Wednesdays