Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bah Hum Bug

Character Or Plot?

What’s more important to you? Real, three-dimensional, fleshed-out fascinating characters? Or an amazing, page-turning plot?
(Yes, I know, they are both important. But if you had to pick one as being more important than the other?

Characters are more important. Loving and connecting with whom the story is about always brings me back for more.
Bah Hum Bug - A Christmas Rant
Receiving a gift of a white elephant from a monarch was simultaneously both a blessing and a curse: a blessing because the animal was sacred and a sign of the monarch's favour, and a curse because the animal had to be retained and could not be put to much practical use, but cost a significant amount to maintain. From Wikipedia
I have chosen over the years to not participate in white elephant gift exchanges. As I am heading out to my third and final Christmas party I found myself wondering why this tradition.


Do we not have any more meaning and fun Christmas party game? How many white elephant gift exchanges must I endure? 


I honestly believe that white elephant gift exchanges is another Christmas event that detracts from the true spirit of Christmas. 


What would happen if instead of tormenting our fiends and family with unwanted presents we supported the true meaning of the season.  You could have all your friends contribute to be a secret santa for a needy child or even sponsoring a child in a developing country. I implore you to consider what you could do with a five dollar contribution from every guest this season.  


I like math and this year I actually counted up how much it would have cost me had I participated in all those white elephant gift exchanges. My white elephant gift exchanges, assuming I spent the full five dollars, would have cost me $58 and netted me an entire supply of unwanted clutter for my home.


The reason for the season: Luke 2:
10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
My call is for all of us, keeps of the faith, to use this season to promote the good news....

And use this time to inspire others to help those who are poor, hungry and possibly cold.
Acts 2:44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
So as I struggle to let love cover my possible sin here and the sins of those creating my struggle I return again to

I am left to wonder how God feels about it all and trying to remove the plank from my eyes.
Matthew 7:2-5
2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.   3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 



What choices leave you wondering and searching the Word?