Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A random List of Thankfulness


What brought me to a deeper understanding of Matthew 6? We spent two months last year staying with friends while in transition to our new home. I felt that God helped me to see the value of living with less and how it was just a matter of my heart. This was my second time living without personal effects and it was very relaxing. There is much freedom is not having to clean, pick up or worry about a bunch of things.

In the mix of this move I was blessed with an IPod touch, and the hope that it would keep me more organized.  To be honest I have not had much success with setting it up, but I am thankful that it allows me to get more reading and blogging done. No matter the thought process I was reminded that every new item added to our lives takes time and effort. Things never truly simplify our lives.

1 Corinthians 10:23
“I have the right to do anything,” 
you say—
but not everything is beneficial. 
“I have the right to do anything”
—but not everything is constructive.

I also found that shopping in the apps store was like visiting Walmart without a list. You just end up feeling lost and with a bunch of stuff you do not want. This past week I was thankful to Heather of Do Not Depart for her post of helpful spiritual apps. I love the Biblicious app it allows my boys to test their bible knowledge. I also love the Prayer list app, making keeping track of my prayers a little easier.

I am thankful for my boys and just appreciate of how God has placed our family together. We are all different but it works so well. If you are a mother of more than one child you get my logic. I am thankful for this because Children seem to get ill all at the same time and if they both responded the same, it would be difficult to show them the love of Christ. Having the boys under the weather this week has shown me what a blessing our differences are.

1 Timothy 4:4-5
For everything God created is good, 
and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 
because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

I am thankful for patience. I have committed to working on our Coca-Cola puzzle, and I am grateful for its calming effect and the amount of quiet time required putting it together.

James 5:7-8
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord’s coming. 
See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop 
and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 
You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near.

I am thankful to be simplifying my life, removing the clutter and relying more closely on God. I am not just getting rid of my stuff but I am not leaving any area of my life untouched by the change. I will not be infected by clutter in any area of my life.

Psalm 51:10-12
Create in me a pure heart, O God, 
   
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.   
Do not cast me from your presence 
   
or take your Holy Spirit from me. 

Restore to me the joy of your salvation 
   
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

I was thankful today for the encouragement from reading about Herbert at and Zelmyra Fisher of North Carolina who have been married for 85 years. Not only are they are adorable but they give me hope that marriage is sustainable and with God we can grow old together if we obey. They credited their success to praying with and for each other every day. Prayer is such a small yet powerful thing.

Ecclesiastes 4:12
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Choosing to make my Lord the third strand in my life.