Thursday, April 12, 2012

Reviewing 10 things I want My Son as I am Booking Through Thursday



Welcome to my Book Review and Booking Through Thursday Post, this week question: What book took you the longest to read, and do you feel it was the content or just the length that made it so?


The answer is:


A book that took me long to read was Have A New Husband by Friday. The book made my brain hurt and I would not recommend that anyone read it. It was a short book and should have been a quick read but the content was horrible. I made me realize that I would screen my books a bit better because had I not placed on my blog that I was reading it, I would have trashed it after the first chapter. 
Source: amazon.com via Eileen on Pinterest

My Book Review this week: 10 Things I Want My Son to Know by Steve Chapman


I bought this book at a major church event because I was curious to see what a dad wanted to tell his son. I am a mom raising three boys and trying to understand them, and it helps to have a male perspective.
What he wanted his son to know was summed up in the title of each chapter. 

1. You will always be mine -- I will always claim you


2. Proof of My love -- I will stand up to you and for you


3. Good work -- there is value in work


4. Choosing the right Hero -- Jesus is the only hero who does not fail us.


5. First comes love -- First you fall in love


6. Then comes marriage 


7. Then comes son with a Baby carriage 


8. The Guard -- joining God's army and being on guard against sin.
1 Peter 5:8Be alert and of sober mind.Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
9. Bogeys and birdies -- Bogey are a list of things he wished he had done better while the birdies were thing he or his father did well  


10. Little sayings with a lot of truth -- sayings he liked from family members and wanted to pass on.

My take away, or sighs of relief as mom:
Ephesians 6:12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,but against the rulers, against the authorities,against the powers of this dark worldand against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Boys of a particular age will be defiant but they are still not the enemy. Our children are not the enemy. We the parents are fighting or rather helping them fight their sinful natures. We should not let our fears or self doubt in training them turn them into the enemy. We must choose to remember who the real enemy is: Satan who has come to steal our children.
Philippians 1:28And do not [for a moment] be frightened or intimidated in anything by your opponents and adversaries,for such [constancy and fearlessness] will be a clear sign (proof and seal) to them of [their impending] destruction,but [a sure token and evidence] of your deliverance and salvation,and that from God.
When we choose to display peace in the face of their opposition it is a sign of defeat for them.  This scripture is the equivalence of never let them see you sweat. We must parent from a place of confidence and trust in God. 


I had never considered this scripture in this light. When dealing with my children I consider Romans 12:9-21. I choose to deal with my children in such a gentle and loving manner so that it may convict their hearts and motivate them to change. I firmly believe that is how God deals with us. This concept from Philippians really spoke to me.

 My favorite little sayings with a lot of truth are


True!!  



The though here is no one alive ever knows of our success.  



So often we are misguided into thinking that the courageous are without fear.



They are days where I think this should be the prayer of every parent. Lord, either soften this child heart or take him now.




When you think about it, we do sell our salvation cheaply. What are you choosing to go to hell over?


10 Things I Want My Son to Know is a quick and insightful read and for me it was a good look into the other teams play book. I think dads would do well to ask themselves 
“Does my son know these?”   
Choosing to share my love of books. What are you choosing today?
If you enjoyed this post, please stay awhile and read and choose to share Edwards Granddaughter with a friend. You can also subscribe by email and like us on Facebook, join us on Pinterest and Twitter. You can also email me @ Edwardsgranddaughter.gmail.com.