Friday, May 18, 2012

Who Am I Choosing to Trust



The disclaimer: 
I am just a girl choosing to read the words of my creator and live closely to the calling He has placed on my heart. 


Day 23: Trust
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. - 1 Corinthians 13:7

Oh Jesus! It all comes down to trust in a marriage! Love without trust isn’t love at all. Just as I trust You and have faith in You, Your promises, I pray that through my spouse trusting me, and I him, that we would be able to endure all things, good and bad. Hope for all things, present and future, and believe all things. Lord, please help me to remember to first, love You and spend my time with You. This will comfort me and help me to love and trust my spouse, even if there is damage and hurt from the past. We can truly hope, endure, believe and bear all things through You - because You, My Lord, are love.

Have you prayed today? Leave a comment and let us know

As a prayer captain for one of the Surrendered Marriage Prayer Group, this was my morning post. I felt almost uncomfortable posting it because it is not what I believe. Before, I continue let me just share my back ground here. I have been married for 18 years and hubby and I dated for four years before. I have been in a relationship with the man of my dreams for 22 years. The most important item in our marriage is our trust in the Lord. We made Jesus the third strand in our marriage 15 years ago and firmly believe that our trust in God is what keeps us strong.

Why, then do I have a problem with this prayer? 


The first two lines: "Oh Jesus! It all comes down to trust in a marriage! Love without trust isn’t love at all." 

Does it really come down to trust in a marriage? Do we have to trust to love

What does trust mean: firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.

Standing aside for one moment let us say that if this is the definition we are using for trust my hubby is totally trust worthy. He is reliable, honest, capable and very strong. We have endured much together and always returned to the strength of our love for each other. He loves God, is faithful and devoted to his family.So, why do I have an issue with trust being used in this manner. 


When I read my Bible I hear trust defined as only for the Lord.


Trust is mentioned

  • 93 times in the New American Standard version
  • 95 in the New International Version
  • 134 Kings James Version
  • 88 in the English Standard Version
So what does the Bible say about trust:

Psalm 56:11  In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?


When our trust is in God we do not need to be fearful or worried, it is a secure trust that will not lead us astray.

Psalm 118:8  It is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in man.
 and
Psalm 118:9  It is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in princes.


What is better than trusting in my husband? Trusting in the Lord.

Proverbs 3:5  Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.


I am not even to trust in my own understanding. I am to trust and lean on the only person who can protect and save me: God!

Micah 7:5  Put no trust in a neighbor; have no confidence in a friend; guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your arms;


For me Micah seems the closes relating to marriage. The Bible uses the marriage relationship many times as examples of our relationship with God. Here in Micah we are to have no confidence in a friend and guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your arms. Well I hope your spouse is a friend who lies in your arms.

Mark 10:24  And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answered again, and said unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!


In Mark 10:24 we see Jesus continuing the warning about where you place your trust. Many times in the old testament we see Israel faltering because they choice to trust in things other than God. When we trust only in God He provides for all our needs.


I do not want to put trust in my husband to the point of creating an idol. An idol is an image but it is also any person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered. We can idolize our husbands; after all they take care of us and are great men of God. They perfectly fit the description of an idol, how do we separate them from God like status.


By firmly placing our trust in the lord.


I see Corinthians 13:7  as this

  • Love bears all things, no matter what my husband does I carry my love and I support him
  • believes all things, I accept as true that he wants the best for us and that the intentions of  heart are pure. After all he is the greatest.
  • hopes all things, in good times and bad I can love him because I know it will all work out in the end.
  • endures all things. – I will suffer patiently through whatever comes our way
verse 8 goes on to say Love never fails. When we choose to love like God calls us too, it will never fail us.


A good example is:

Beginning on Tuesday I was not very trusting in my husband or surrender to the fact that he choose to change and cancel my dental appointment without consulting me first. He changed our family's appointment from Wednesday morning to just the children on Thursday afternoon.


My plan was to have the convenience of all four appointments at the same time so I would not need a second visit. To say the least having my plan shattered was not sitting well with me.


My Wednesday night post was my chosen journey to surrender and committing my plans to God. After this surrender I was amazed by how quickly God moved in my life.


Starting fresh on Thursday morning I called our dentist office and was told that they could fit in all four of us at two o’clock. 


This I credit to trusting in the Lord and his almighty grace. Despite the fact that my hubby and I are not perfect we love each other and God’s grace is the intercessor in our marriage. God bridges the gap between us and fills in those imperfect places. God sees the intentions of our hearts and creates the grace and forgiveness for our shortcomings that is needed.


I ask you today to do two things:
1. Choose to trust in only God
2. Choose to love the way He commands us too.



Enjoyed this post subscribe to Edwards Granddaughter to receive FREE updates — by email. Don’t miss a post! Also follow us on  Pinterest and Twitter and like us on  Facebook



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Beholding Glory