Friday, February 17, 2012

Run to Him for He Delivers


The theme for this week run to him study was deliverance. I think this was the first week I noticed the theme and as I read Psalms 40, 37 and 22 I looked for the deliverance.

What did my deliverance look like this week?

I embarked on an interesting journey this week. Talking to the boys and myself about shelf life. Every thing inventoried in our lives has a shelf life. No matter how hard we try to protect our things the clock is always ticking. 


Our cell phones, for example are on their last days and in need of replacing. Yet, I dread the thought of replacing them. 


1. I am very comfortable with my current phone and know that the store holds crazy options. 


2. The cost of a new phone every three years just never balances out.

Then again, God has been weeding my heart


I just recently, after 3 years of owning it, started dropping my phone. I want a nice new phone but a small voice inside is saying, “That is wasting money.” I dropped my Mac. A crime for sure, but I was grateful it still worked, just a little dented. Again, the new ones at the store are awfully nice.  Then, I dropped my plate and God said, “How much stuff do I have to deliver you from?”

What does the deliverance of the Lord look like? Exactly what your hearts needs to draw closer to Him. 

What does God deliver me from? God delivers me from anything that separates me from Him.

Psalm 40
 1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry. 

2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Lots of time He deliveries us from ourselves, from our own self-destruction. We create the slimy pit by dumping mud and mire all over ourselves.  We stop delighting in the Lord.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Delight means to take great pleasure in.  Do we take great pleasure in the Lord? When we take great pleasure in the Lord, he gives us the desires of our hearts. What a great deliverer!

This week God delivered me from my false belief that I had gotten rid of all the excess that was burying me. After a year of de-cluttering, I still own over 9600 pounds of stuff. I hear my heart calling me to get rid of more of my stuff but I was stuck. 


God sent His deliverance in the form of me suddenly breaking all those things. Their was a message from God in my sudden clumsiness and when I took the time to listen. The reality struck me that these things I am holding on too will be gone soon, but was I delighting in the eternal.

God was delivering my heart.

And I had stumbled but did not fall.

Psalm 37:
23 If the LORD delights in a man’s way,
he makes his steps firm; 

24 though he stumble, he will not fall,
or the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Psalm 37 going on to say that if the Lord delights, takes great pleasure in a man’s way He keeps us from falling. That is true rescue. I can be confidence in not losing my way when I seek him because God upholds me.


Matthew 6:33
 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, 
and all these things will be given to you as well.

When I seek God with my entire heart, He delivers me.

What did your deliverance look like this week?
Other post in this series:


Beholding Glory