Thursday, June 7, 2012

Reviewing One Thousand Gifts as I am Booking Through Thursday



Welcome to my Book Review and Booking Through Thursday Post, this week question: Favorite secondary characters? (Note the plural)

The answer is David.

I gave this question serious thought and came up with David. Yes, the one who killed Goliath with a sling shot. Why him?


The Bible is filled with secondary characters but David seemed to have something special. His story is long with many twist and turns. If you have ever read the Bible from beginning to end, the story of David is very exciting and has everything. Brotherly love, deception, murder and the will David ever rules as King from his throne in peace. The story of David would make a great modern novel and is a best seller. David with all his human frailties is a man after God’s own heart and get my vote for best supporting character.  This review is basic on the assumption that God is the leading man of the Bible.  

My Book Review this week:
I am writing a review about One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp because I finally read the book and I fell in love with the concept of thanksgiving as a path to salvation.  I was reminded about how limited my once in a while giving thanks is. 

Everyday when we give thanks for our daily meals I often feel empty like I did not prayer and find my self doing it again.  I have wondered why that is? Now that I have read One Thousand Gifts I know what is missing. I lack a consistent spirit of thanksgivings. 

Not just being thankful but practicing thanksgiving. How can I be thankful for my meals when I am not giving thanks for the other things.
  • Roaches
  • Broken cell phones
  • grumpy boys
  • the little inconveniences of the day

Without practicing thanksgiving in these area my thanksgivings is hollow. 


To be in a place of true thanksgiving with God I need to give thanks, do thanks and give thanks away. 

Here are a few new inspirations I picked up from this book:
  • The parent must always self parent first, self preach before child teach
  • We can only feel one emotion at a time and we get to choose which emotion we want to feel
  • Trust is the bridge from yesterday to tomorrow, built with planks of thanks
  • If god did not withhold from us his very own son will god withhold anything we need.
I would love to pay this book forward. I am giving away my copy to one reader who comments on this post. Just leave me a comment expressing interest in the book and we will pick a name.
  
Choosing to share my love of books. What are you choosing today?

If you enjoyed this post, please stay awhile and read and choose to share Edwards Granddaughter with a friend. You can also subscribe by email and like us on Facebook, join us on Pinterest and Twitter. You can also email me @ Edwardsgranddaughter.gmail.com.